Runner’s Quilt update

Well, I achieved my objective of getting the quilt built and put away until the trip, before spring launch and the start of all those other boat projects.

The build was fun, like a jigsaw puzzle. No two bibs were the same size, so the surrounding pieces were all different too. By the time I fit them all on, the quilt size had grown to almost a full twin bed size blanket, so Matthew asked me to expand it from a lap-quilt to a full blanket for the single berths in the salon. I did this by adding the navy border top and bottom, and making the binding of the same fabric, so it will look like a frame when it is all together.

DSC00193 (1)

The instructions said to mark all the quilting patterns on the fabric before assembling the backing and batting, so I made another trip to the Quilt shop for supplies. I cut out templates of running-themed designs, and traced them on using magic pens that you erase with your steam iron after.  Then using the spray-on glue, I assembled the layers and basted it every 6″ to hold it all together. All that is left to do now is the hand-quilting, which is my winter project for next year. Looking forward to those long evenings relaxing at anchor in the warm Caribbean waters with my quilting project to keep me happily sewing.

2016-04-11 14.54.28

Bringing Mementos aboard

In such a small living space, there is no room for useless knicknacks or mementos, everything has to serve a useful purpose. So, as we are clearing out the land-base, what to do with all those runner’s bibs that adorn our refrigerator door? Can’t bear to part with them, but what use are they, other than for sentimental value? The answer: a lap quilt, for those cool evenings on board when a little blanket over your legs makes relaxing in the salon so much more comfortable. The runner’s bibs can continue to be favourite mementos, while serving a useful purpose aboard!


First step:  After some research, I found fabric sheets that allowed me to use our home printer to copy the bibs onto fabric suitable for sewing. Not cheap (about $3/sheet) but easy to use and look great.



The search for colourful scraps of cotton to surround the bibs gave me extra incentive to clear out my sewing-room closet, killing two birds with one stone. Just look at all those empty cubbies now!



Then it was on to blocking the quilt. Lots of fun, since the bibs were not standard sizes, and I had varying sizes of fabric scraps to work with. Like building a jigsaw puzzle. I am very pleased with the way it looks so far. Still lots of work to do, putting together the layers of batting and backing, then of course all the hand-quilting. That will be my next winter project while living aboard Kinship. Watch for future updates…

Starting a Sewing Projects Page

I have had a serious sewing habit all of my life, so imagine my delight when, upon taking up sailing with Matthew, I discovered that boats have unlimited potential for sewing projects! Since my first winch-covers for Penny, I have upgraded my sewing machine to a Sailrite, and learned about all kinds of fabrics and threads suitable for boat projects. I also joined boat-sewing groups, and have posted a few of my projects there. Now I think it is time to start consolidating the pictures and instructions to share with other boat-sewers and to leave myself a trail to follow, should I ever want to repeat a project. Here goes, in no particular order:

Christmas Gifts for the Captain:

His own personalized shopping bag, just for the fun of it. My sister-in-law has an embroidery machine, and is always willing to help out with my projects.

1-2015-12-29 20.14.57

Quilting Practice:

I plan to make Matthew a “Runner’s Quilt” out of all his running bibs that were previously proudly displayed on our refrigerator door at home, but must now fit on a boat somehow…making a lap quilt for him seems like a good solution (everything on a boat must serve more than one purpose)

I have only ever made one quilt, and it was many years ago. So I decided to start small, and using some leftover bits, made a sampler in order to get a bit of practice before launching into the big project. I was so pleased with how it turned out, I made it into a cushion.


4-2016-01-27 11.54.24 5-2016-01-27 11.54.36


The Drogue Project:

That one has its own two-part blog with instructions, Part 1 and Part 2.

After the first season on the boat, I took it home to make some improvements. In order to fit in the locker, the bundle needed to be a bit shorter. It also needed some much more substantial handles. The final touch was to add its name in bright contrasting white letters, and a bit of reflective tape, in order to make it easy to find and identify in the kind of conditions under which it might be wanted. Here is the final version:

2-2016-01-06 12.31.06 Continue reading