Well, I achieved my objective of getting the quilt built and put away until the trip, before spring launch and the start of all those other boat projects.
The build was fun, like a jigsaw puzzle. No two bibs were the same size, so the surrounding pieces were all different too. By the time I fit them all on, the quilt size had grown to almost a full twin bed size blanket, so Matthew asked me to expand it from a lap-quilt to a full blanket for the single berths in the salon. I did this by adding the navy border top and bottom, and making the binding of the same fabric, so it will look like a frame when it is all together.
The instructions said to mark all the quilting patterns on the fabric before assembling the backing and batting, so I made another trip to the Quilt shop for supplies. I cut out templates of running-themed designs, and traced them on using magic pens that you erase with your steam iron after. Then using the spray-on glue, I assembled the layers and basted it every 6″ to hold it all together. All that is left to do now is the hand-quilting, which is my winter project for next year. Looking forward to those long evenings relaxing at anchor in the warm Caribbean waters with my quilting project to keep me happily sewing.
Kinship has been moved from the shop back to the marina. Having spent about 6 weeks taking the boat apart, now we start the process of putting her back together. First up is reinstalling the holding tank and getting the floor back down. Peggie Hall – The Headmistress strongly recommends putting holding tank vents on both sides of the boat to allow cross flow though the tank. Our tank has dual vents but we had not installed the starboard vent. Over the summer we noticed a bit of a wiff if you happened to be sitting in the cockpit when someone flushes, so we decided to install the second vent with the expectation this will solve this problem. After a lot of struggling we got the hose in place and now we just to drill for the vent and connect everything up.
Boat work is often two steps forward and one back. The backwards step this time is a leaky starboard water tank. It has dumped its contents into the bilge since the boat was moved and it needs to be replaced or repaired. Of course this means that we can’t connect the extra vent for the holding tank. The tank is not really the right shape for the space, so I am looking at modified design with a better pick up location and perhaps a little more capacity. Material choice is up in the air, my first sense is to use welded plastic, but the Saga hive mind is favouring stainless or aluminium, I need to do more research.
We are making some progress, we got the wheel repainted, covered and a new turkshead tied and it is ready to go back on the boat. We installed the new audio system, a Fusion MS-RA205 with a Bluetooth module and it works great. I am the sort of person that thinks the first thing you do when you move into a new place is get the tunes working. Listening to music or podcasts while I work just improves my mood.
Progress is slow, the weather has not been great so far, today is -8C and we are at home updating the blog rather than working on the boat. I am trying to accept that we will not be ready in early May. We are going to be on the boat for a year, if we are ready in May or late June does not really matter.